Thursday, March 31, 2005

"The First Time is Now"

Clammy Ejected From Right Field in Spring Training
Clammy Sosa, the newest member of the Baltimore Orioles may have just become the first player to get ejected from a spring training game while in the outfield.
-------------------------------
Sosa stood in right field with a 2-0 count on Washington's Brad Wilkerson when second base umpire C.B. Buckner tossed him. Sosa had argued a called third strike that ended the bottom of the first, remaining in the batter's box to debate plate umpire Joe West, but he said the ejection was a separate issue.


"It's hard to explain it. I was surprised he threw me out of the game," Sosa said. "[Daniel] Cabrera threw a pitch and I was like, 'That was a strike.' And then the second base umpire said, 'Knock it off.' I said something back to him and that was everything. I wasn't even talking to him. And I was all the way in right field. I guess he just took it the wrong way."

(Above) Clammy Sosa yells at the umpire without even yelling at him.

Asked if he could repeat his response to Buckner, Sosa grinned and said, "No."

Buckner declined to comment through a team official.

Sosa and manager Lee Mazzilli confronted Buckner, who stood a few feet behind the infield dirt. Mazzilli continued to argue as Sosa left his glove at Buckner's feet and walked slowly to the dugout.

"I was like, 'I wasn't talking to you. Come on, this is spring training,'" Sosa said. "You can't say anything in this game."


"I wanted to play," Sosa said. "A situation like that, I don't even know what's going on. I don't say nothing to offend nobody."

Sosa couldn't recall seeing an outfielder ejected from a game during an inning. "The first time is now," he said.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was searching for chicago cubs baseball club and found your site.

I'm a huge Cub fan and I have been looking for other sites about chicago cubs baseball club

Dave

3:45 AM  
Anonymous skydiving gear said...

Fantastic blog you've got here dan the fan, I was looking for skydiving gear related information and found your site. I have a skydiving gear site. You'll find info on skydiving gear, equipment, drop zones, powered parachutes, tandem sky diving, base jumping and more! Stop by and check it out when you can. Enjoy!

6:05 PM  
Anonymous skydiving equipment said...

Fantastic blog you've got here dan the fan, I was looking for parachute related information and found your site. I have a parachute site. You'll find info on skydiving gear, equipment, drop zones, powered parachutes, tandem sky diving, base jumping and more! Stop by and check it out when you can. Enjoy!

12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home