Saturday, April 30, 2005

Knock on Wood

Kerry Wood will indeed start against the Astros tonight, despite the conventional wisdom that he should be resting his tender shoulder.


Well then. That sounds good enough to me.
____________________________________________________

UPDATE: Cubs lost 7-5
, but more importantly, Kerry Wood was taken out after only 4 innings. The word is that his tendinitis is bothering him again. Well Duh!
I mean, who didn't see that one comming?

Why can't they just give the guy some rest!
I just hope this doesn't set him back too much. I'm getting so frustrated with all this pitcher abuse.
Here is an exerpt from baseball prospectus which I think hits the nail on the head:

"Protect your young pitchers' arms."

Another staple from the analytical cookbook, this one would seem to have particular relevance for the Cubs. The Cubs' trio of young starters, Mark Prior, Carlos Zambrano, and Kerry Wood, is the team's most important asset. If healthy, they are good enough to form a championship nucleus all by themselves. Yet, in spite of the fact that two of the three were injured for substantial portions of last season, Dusty Baker continued to work his starters as hard as almost any manager in the game. The Cubs placed third in the league in Pitcher Abuse Points, after leading the league by a large margin in 2003. Protecting pitchers' arms is not a matter of machismo. It's about getting the most out of your pitchers for the entire 162-game schedule, and maximising your return on investment in future seasons when those pitchers are still under your control. This is particularly important for a team like the Cubs that has a reasonable expectation of reaching the playoffs, during which each starting pitcher might be needed to throw an extra 20 innings."


It seems so obvious, yet the Cubs just don't seem to get it..Screw it... I don't even want to talk about it anymore....
I'm going to go see Kung Fu Hustle!
The image “http://www.filmcenter.com.cn/images/ypjs/gf/gf_009_d.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was searching for chicago cubs talk and found your site.

I'm a huge Cub fan and I have been looking for other sites about chicago cubs talk

Dave

11:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - I trained in judo and karate for many years. I was looking for blogs having to do with judo and came across yours. Nice blog. I have my own have my own mixed style school now that offers most of the traditional judo techniques. Come have a look at it if you want.

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
[url=http://wiavabyc.com/worv/reou.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://tdlmndse.com/qkgs/vzzm.html]Cool site[/url]

2:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
My homepage | Please visit

2:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
http://wiavabyc.com/worv/reou.html | http://bibqoidg.com/xwsz/njmo.html

2:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home