Thursday, June 16, 2005

I Can't Wait to See The Tarp at Yankee Stadium

I've been waiting for this for years. Tomorrow is the day I finally get to see the Chicago Cubs as they stare at tarp in Yankee Stadium. I get to put on my Mark Prior jersey, my cubs hat, (the road hat with the red brim) and hop across the Harlem river to see the tarp in person, as the Cubbies sit in the dugout and watch it with me.

I didn't know if I was going to get the opportunity untill I heard on the news that they are expecting severe thunderstorms tomorrow evening from about 6pm through 11 pm. It's a 7:00 game, that should allow a good 2 1/2 hours of tarp watching.

above: the legendary tarp at Yankee Stadium being rolled out for another historic viewing.

Cubs players are excited about the opportunity as well. This will be the first time the Cubs have been to Yankee Stadium since the 1938 World Series, and the first time they have seen the tarp since 1932 .

"You think about the history of that ballpark, and all the great players who seen that tarp during rain delays...it's exciting" said manager Dusty Baker. "You are connecting with so much history even if you don't play any baseball at all!"

Right fielder Jeromy Burnitz added, "This is the same tarp that Joe DiMaggio used to stare blankly at...Mickey Mantle, Lou Gerhig...it's amazing. I can't wait to see the tarp myself."
______________________________________
  • Fri. 7:05 pm ET: Carlos Zambrano / Carl Pavano
  • Sat. 3:10 pm ET: Glendon Rusch / Chen Ming Wang
  • Sun. 1:05 pm ET: Sergio Mitre / Mike Mussina

cubs go down again in the bronx
(thanks for the caption forklift!)

4 Comments:

Blogger CheesyCub said...

Dan,
Tough Loss tonight, they just didn't look like they wanted it bad enough. Although we played well through out the game just couldn't get it done. Matsui(?) had a hell of a game you have to give him credit for that. Tommrow will be a different story i feel a win coming and in a big way, im forcast for the game 13-4 cubs with DE-Lee having a great game and keeping on Triple Crown pace.

Im OUT

9:45 PM  
Blogger dan the fan said...

Yo whassup Mayor McCheez,
A friend of mine from Japan came with us to the game just to see Hedeki Matsui, and she had a huge smile on her face the whole night.
Hope the cubs have better luck in your neck of the woods this week.
Maddux doesn't usually have bad starts twice in a row.

1:29 PM  
Anonymous unclee said...

So did you get to stare blankly at the tarp?

9:19 PM  
Blogger dan the fan said...

Hey Uncle Lee
Suprisingly, it didn't rain all this weekend despite all the forcasts, and I was unable to watch the tarp. What gives? I brought binoculars and everything!
Instead I stared blankly at the cubs as they lost three times in a row.

12:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home